Summer is the time for travel, and while fast food may be convenient, it can be a speed bump for a healthy lifestyle. No matter your mode of transportation, it is possible to eat healthy on the go. Some tips from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics will help you plan ahead.
If you’re traveling by plane:
1. Carry on. Food is allowed through security! Pack healthy snacks in your carry-on bag so you can avoid the high prices and calories of processed airplane food. Packable snacks include:
- Fresh fruit
- Low fat cheese sticks
- Homemade Chex mix made with dry Chex cereal, almonds, and raisins
- Air-popped popcorn sealed in a baggie
2. Bring your own bottle. Bottled liquids are not allowed through security, but empty water bottles are. Bring a bottle with you and re-fill it at a water fountain by your gate. It is important to stay hydrated while flying because the re-circulated air in planes can be very drying.
3. Don’t rush. Be sure to give yourself enough time in the morning to eat a wholesome breakfast and get to the airport. If you arrive at the airport with an empty stomach, you may be tempted to grab a sugary Danish.
If you’re traveling by car, plan ahead and pack a cooler! This will help save time and money while on the road. Things to include in your cooler are:
- Water bottles
- Veggies with a ranch yogurt dip or hummus
- Fresh grapes or berries
- Low fat jerky
- Mozzarella cheese sticks and whole wheat crackers
- Hard boiled eggs
- Rolled up deli meat, like turkey